3. A classroom for all in a school for all
At the end of this chapter, teachers should be able to:
- organise the physical space in their classroom to create a safe environment
- take into account the situation of children with special needs to facilitate their access to learning
- reflect on the management of interactions within the classroom so that everyone can feel confident
- consider carefully the organisation of pupils to encourage collaborative learning
- understand the importance of motivation for positive schooling.
The organisation of the physical space and the atmosphere in the classroom/school play a crucial role in facilitating learning. To create a classroom/school safe from physical or emotional danger you, as a teacher, need to ask yourself the following questions:
- Do my school and class enable children to move without danger?
- What are the actions I can take to enable all children to enjoy an accessible and risk-free environment?
2.8 Reflection on the inclusive teacher
3.1 The physical space in the classroom and school