Summary of Study Session 5
In Study Session 5, you have learned that:
- Institutional hygiene is important for a range of institutions in your operational area, including schools, health facilities, prisons or jails, public and private offices, and local religious institutions.
- It is important for public and environmental health that public institutions meet basic sanitation requirements, including: water supply, personal hygiene, provision of latrines and proper waste management.
- School hygiene and sanitation are especially important because children spend a great deal of time at school and they need a healthy environment to learn and grow, physically, mentally and socially.
- Sanitary inspection of public institutions is a method for identifying hygiene and sanitation problems. It can also be used to inform the design of strategies for improvement.
- In order to address the institutional hygiene needs in your area, there should be an operational plan that can be applied locally.