Summary of Study Session 16
In Study Session 16, you have learned that:
- Sanitary surveys play a major role in prevention and correction of water system deficiencies.
- Sanitary surveys begin at the source of the water. Preventing source water contamination is the most effective means of preventing contaminants from reaching consumers.
- Source water quality, quantity, location of water source and condition of the water source facilities are the key elements of a sanitary survey.
- Sanitary surveys also include assessment of water use in the home and ensuring that household practices do not allow recontamination.
- Wells, springs and rainwater cisterns are important sources of water to which you need to pay attention when you are doing sanitary surveys.
- Faecal coliform bacteria and E.coli are used to test for the presence of faecal contamination and to indicate the likelihood of the presence of pathogenic organisms in drinking water.