Summary of Study Session 20
In Study Session 20, you have learned that:
- Pit latrines with slab, VIP latrines and ecological sanitation systems are all types of improved sanitation facility.
- Pit latrines consist of a pit, slab and superstructure. The slab is essential to separate waste from the people using it. The superstructure ensures privacy; it can be constructed of many different locally available materials.
- Latrines must be sited with due consideration of the type of rock/soil, the location of water sources, the location of houses and the wind direction.
- VIP latrines are better than simple pit latrines because the vent pipe reduces smells and flies.
- Ecological sanitation systems, also known as ecosan systems, have the added benefit of producing useful compost material that can be spread on fields as fertiliser.
- Arborloo, with one pit, and Fossa Alterna, with two pits, are two types of ecosan system.
- Water carriage systems such as WCs, pour-flush latrines and aqua privies have some advantages over dry systems but they require a regular water supply and are more expensive.
- Handwashing facilities are essential for use with all types of latrine. They can be easily constructed from simple materials.
- You can help families and others by providing advice on siting and choice of latrine.