15.1.7 Reasons for referral
You should refer in the following circumstances:
- If you come across a person with epilepsy who has never been treated.
- If you suspect a person is having a seizure for the first time and is above the age of 40 years.
- If the seizure occurs in a child under two years of age.
- If the person is pregnant.
- If there has been a recent increase in the frequency of seizures, despite the use of AED medication and in the absence of any explanation.
- If you suspect status epilepticus.
- If there is evidence of psychiatric illness (requiring psychiatric drug treatment).
- If there are severe side effects.