2.1 How to install the Open University question types on a Windows PC
This course is being written at the time the Open University moves to Moodle 2.5. The illustrations are from Moodle 2.5 at the OU and the installations have been checked against a PC running the Moodle 2.5 version of Moodle on a Windows PC described under Get your workspace above.
Exercise 2.1 Obtain the necessary files.
- There are an ever increasing number on contributed question types in the Moodle plugins library which you will find in the . On that site:
- Click on Quiz (it's under the Activities heading).
- Then click on the Question types subcategory.
- The question types that we will cover in this course are as follows:
- Drag and drop into text
- Drag and drop onto image
- OU Multiple response
- Select missing words
Placement of markers
- Drag and drop markers
- Pattern match
- Reverse pattern match
- Variable numeric
- Variable numeric set
- Variable numeric set with units
Exercise 2.2 Increase the maximum execution time
- We have found that in the Moodle on a Windows PC installer the default 'maximum execution time' for implementing add-ons is a little too low and you will need to amend it.
- If your Moodle workspace is running, please stop it.
- Using Windows Explorer please find the folder where your Moodle workspace is held.
- In the server\php folder open php.ini with Notepad.
- Search (ctrl-f) for max_execution_time.
- Set max_execution_time = 120.
- Save your change.
- Start your Moodle workspace running.
Exercise 2.3 Install the question types
- Point your browser at your course in your workspace.
- At the bottom of the Administration block click on 'Site administration'.
- Under 'Site administration' click on 'Plugins'.
- Then click on 'Install add-ons'.
- On the page that appears:
- Set 'Plugin type' to Question type.
- Select the 'OU multiple response' zip file you have just downloaded and drop it into the box labelled 'Zip package'.
- Click the acknowledgement.
- And install the question type from the zip file.
- When invited to upgrade the database do so.
- Repeat the above steps with the remaining zip files. Some question types rely on others being installed so please do the installations in the following order...
- OU multiple response (already done)
- gapselect (Select missing words)
- ddwtos (Drag and drop into text) - requires gapselect
- ddimageortext (Drag and drop onto image) - requires gapselect
Placement of markers
- ddmarker is (Drag and drop markers) - requires gapselect and ddimageortext
- pmatch (Pattern match)
- pmatchreverse (Reverse Pattern match)
- varnumericset (Variable numeric set)
- varnumeric (Variable numeric) - requires varnumericset
- varnumunit (Variable numeric set with units) - requires varnumericset and pmatch
- combined - requires OU multiple response, varnumericset, pmatch and gapselect
Exercise 2.4 Check the installation
Check that the questions have installed correctly.
- Click on 'Home'.
- Then on your course name.
- Then on Question bank.
- Then questions.
- Then create new question.
- And the list of questions appearing in the chooser should include those listed above.
2 Expand your list of question types