Skills and qualities
Listen to Natalia talking about the skills and qualities she needed to draw on to overcome this difficult time in her life when changing her career.
So Natalia’s skills and qualities are:
- Technical skills in engineering and geology, research and design: from her university study and training.
- IT and communications skills: in presenting and writing from her university studies.
- Communication and language skills: from her work with refugees.
- Working as part of a team and good with people: from working in cafés.
- Creative: from her hobby in photography and experience with websites.
- Hard-working, patient, flexible and adaptable: qualities demonstrated in her journey towards her goal.
Eric has also given some thought to his skills and qualities, which you should listen to now.
So Eric’s skills and qualities are:
- Negotiating skills
- Hard working
Activity 3.2 Thinking about my skills and qualities
What do you think about Natalia’s and/or Eric’s list of skills and qualities?
Have you thought about the personal qualities that you possess and how you might use these? For example, an expert in information technology (IT) would not necessarily be a good IT teacher if they could not relate well to young people. What other qualities do you feel might be useful – possibly patience, an ability to communicate technical information in an accessible way or an ability to motivate?
Pick an event or a point in your timeline when you had to take action to resolve something. It could be something to do with family, work or practical issues like housing and money.
We have provided a table for you to make a list of what you did and then think about what skills you used, and the qualities that you have, that may have helped you. These may or may not be the same as Natalia’s or Eric’s.
Go to Activity 3.2 of your Reflection Log. Once you have completed the activity, make sure you save the document again.
You can share your answers and discuss your roles with others in your group. If you want to do this online, you can type them up and post them to an online forum or via social media.
Think about the following questions and make some notes in your Reflection Log or notebook:
- Did you find that you used some of the same skills as Natalia or Eric?
- Did you discover that you have other skills, maybe some that you were not aware of?
- Are you now aware of qualities that you have but hadn’t considered before?