Course and badge information
Badges are a means of digitally recognising certain skills and achievements acquired through informal study and are entirely optional. They do not carry any formal credit as they are not subject to the same rigour as formal assessment; nor are they proof that you have studied the full unit or course. They are a useful means of demonstrating participation and recognising informal learning.
If you'd like to learn more about badges, you will find more information on the following websites:
- Open Badges – this information is provided by Mozilla, a leading provider of the open badges system.
- Digital Badges – this information is provided by HASTAC (Humanities, Arts, Science and Technology Alliance and Collaboratory), a global community working to transform how we learn, and particularly making use of technology.
Gaining your badge
To gain the Parkinson’s: managing bone health and fracture risk digital badge, you will need to:
- complete the course content under the "Learning Material" heading on the course page. Please note that if you download any of the course content for viewing offline (eg as a PDF document or eBook), you must click through the material when next online so that the system can accurately record your completion of it. You can do this by clicking the 'Next' button at the bottom right of each page in each numbered section and subsection.
- complete the quizzes that you will find throughout the sections of the course. These section quizzes are formative. They are really helpful in consolidating your learning but there is no pass mark.
- complete the end-of-course quiz and achieve at least 60%.
When you have successfully achieved the completion criteria you will receive your Parkinson’s: managing bone health and fracture risk badge. You will receive email notification that your badge has been awarded and it will appear in the My Badges area in your profile. Please note it can take up to 24 hours for a badge to be issued.
Your badge demonstrates that you have achieved the learning outcomes for the course. These outcomes are listed at the start of each section.
The digital badge does not represent formal credit or award, but rather it demonstrates successful participation in informal learning activity.
Accessing your badge
From within the Parkinson’s: managing bone health and fracture risk course:
- you can access the badge details page by clicking the name of the badge in the “Course rewards” block that displays at the bottom right of the course description page (or at the bottom left of any of the learning material pages).
- you can view the details of the badge, download it, or add it to your Mozilla Backpack.
- to download the badge to your computer click the 'Download' button under the badge graphic and save it to your computer.
Sharing your badge
Badges awarded within OpenLearn Create can be shared via the Mozilla Backpack.
Downloading your badge to your Mozilla Backpack
You will need to create a Mozilla Backpack account (the "connect to a backpack" link is available by clicking "Manage Badges" on the breadcrumbs trail at the top of the badge details page).
When you have done this, click on the ‘Add To Backpack’ button, and you will be asked to login to Mozilla if you have not already done so.
Follow the instructions on the screen and your badge should be automatically added to your backpack.
It would be great to receive your feedback about this course. We are keen to know about the parts you found useful and where you feel we can improve. You can post your views in our short survey – thank you in advance for completing it.