If you want to learn a new language for work or for leisure, this free course will introduce you to one of the most widely spoken languages in the world – Spanish. Whether this is the first time that you are learning Spanish, or you have already picked up some words and phrases from travelling across the Spanish-speaking world, this course is for you.
This introduction offers the perfect opportunity to develop the skills needed to communicate effectively in Spanish in everyday contexts.
This OpenLearn course is an extract from the beginning of the Open Centre for Languages and Cultures short course, LXS001 Beginners Spanish 1: ¡Empezamos! After completing this free course, you may wish to register for the full course to continue your learning.
Course learning outcomes
After studying this course, you should be able to:
- pronounce vowel sounds and the letter 'h' in Spanish
- understand how to type the special characters á é ñ ¿
- make introductions using both formal and informal expressions
- greet people at different times of the day
- recognise the value of keeping a language notebook.
First Published: 08/02/2021