Session 5: Planning and conducting SoTL research
Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (SoTL) involves systematic investigation of an aspect of student learning, which is expressed as one or more questions, with a SoTL practitioner or a team of SoTL researchers looking for answers in the evidence generated.
This session builds on what you have already learned about the stages of SoTL inquiry and related aspects earlier in the course: for example, learning analytics, stakeholder analysis, formulating aim and research questions, literature review, involving students as partners and ethical considerations.
In this session, you’ll learn about the nature of SoTL research, the research design considerations for a SoTL inquiry, and how to conduct the SoTL research process and present the findings.
By the end of this session, you will be able to:
- explain the nature of SoTL research
- discuss the research design considerations for a SoTL inquiry
- describe mixed methods research and triangulation
- apply the guidance in order to choose research methods for your inquiry
- present the findings of a SoTL inquiry.