4 How can mentors use research?
Cain (2009) makes four suggestions about how mentors can make use of research and theory in the development of their own practice, and in their support and challenge of beginner teachers. He suggests mentoring can be better understood:
- through the mentors’ reading and understanding of research
- by using theoretical frameworks – such as the one used by Lofthouse (2018)
- by considering case studies and what they may tell us
- by mentors undertaking an inquiry into their own practice.
Consider Cain’s suggestions above.
- Which have you engaged in recently?
- Which do you think would be valuable as you grow into your role?
- Which could you employ during your time as a mentor?