5 Self-appraisal activity
You have now almost completed Session 1 of this Open Learn course.
Activity _unit1.6.1 Activity 3 Self-appraisal
Answer the questions below to appraise your own readiness to apply to study a psychology PhD.
1. I have good academic qualifications i.e. a good first degree in psychology or a related discipline, equivalent to an Upper Second or higher from a UK university; an MSc in psychology or a related discipline.
2. I have a research methods qualification (e.g. MSc in Psychological Research Methods) and/or other study of research methods and/or experience of collecting and analysing data.
3. I have identified a psychology research area, topic and an issue or question that I want to research, and I’m committed to working on that for a number of years in order to produce findings that make an original contribution to psychological knowledge.
4. I know that doing a PhD will involve a different study experience to a taught degree. I understand what the PhD will involve and I am confident that I will enjoy the PhD experience and can manage it.
5. I know that applying to do a PhD is a different process to applying for a taught degree and I understand the application process I will have to go through.
6. I’ve considered the practical aspects of PhD study, including the financial implications, and I have plans for managing them.
7. I am confident that a psychology PhD is the best project for me to undertake now, for career and personal reasons.
If you have answered yes to all of the points, go on to Session 2 of this Open Learn course. If you answered no, you are recommended to think again about your plans and perhaps return to the other sections of Session 1.
When you are ready, move on to.