6.1 What should be included in a CV?
Whether you are updating an existing CV or creating a new one, you need to know what to include and exclude.
Any CV should include:
- your contact details
- a ‘personal profile’, which summarises your main skills and career aims
- your education and qualifications you have gained including dates and grades
- any work experience stating your responsibilities and main achievements
- your main skills
- relevant interests or activities, such as languages, IT or sports captaincy
- your references. Give the names of two people who have agreed to provide a reference, or say that you can provide details on request.
You don’t need to include your nationality (unless you need a work permit), age, marital status or health.
Now you need to understand the different ways in which this information can be presented in a CV. You will explore two types of CVs in the next section.