Aims and activities
In Week 3 you will:
- explore the environmental issues to which education will need to respond in the future
- reflect on the implications of environmental challenges for the possible purposes of education.
Activities should facilitate an understanding of:
- the key environmental issues driving change locally and globally
- alternative perspectives on the possible responses of education to meeting environmental challenges
- a personal view about the role of education in meeting environmental agendas.
|1||Listen to a five-minute audio extract from the BBC’s Fragile Planet series and find out from the WMO report which climate records were broken in 2016. Then consider the reflection points. Discover a relevant news article and post it to the course forum. Then consider some reflection points.||90 minutes|
|2||Watch the video Climate Change: Professor Brian Cox clashes with sceptic Malcolm Roberts and skim read/scan a New York Times article about climate change denial. Then consider the reflection points.||45 minutes|
|3||Listen to the extract from the BBC Radio 4 programme Shared Planet about alternative views of sustainability, consider a reflection point and then two illustrative scenarios.||45 minutes|
|4a/4b||Make notes based on ONE of the scenarios from Activity 3, and write a 200-word response for the course forum. Read other posts on the forum.||30 minutes|