2 Tricky topics theories
In Week 1 of this course you read about the pedagogical underpinning of threshold concepts and tricky topics. Look back and reflect on the literature of theory and research you met in Week 1.
Activity 3 Reflecting on tricky topic theory
Think about these questions:
- What have you learned about the theory and research of threshold concepts and tricky topics that is relevant to you and your teaching context?
- What has been done to improve the knowledge of tricky topics in your subject area? Who has made a difference?
- What research exists into the tricky topics in your subject area?
- How has that research (or new theories) impacted on the teaching and learning of tricky topics in your subject area?
- Where is the bulk of research happening?
- What countries?
- Why there?
- Who are the key people developing the theories?
If there is no research or development of new theories happening in your subject area, why might that be? What can be done to improve the situation?
Make notes about the developments of tricky topics theory/research in your subject area, by reflecting on Week 1 and answering some or all of the questions above.