2 Approaches to teaching fractions
In this section you will meet again the ideas of equivalence in fractions. You will also be introduced to some different approaches to teaching the calculation of fractions, including the use of diagrams.
Activity 4 Where are fractions used in mathematics?
The topic of fractions is a substantial one in the school curriculum.
List as many of the different learning activities as you can which relate to the topic of fractions.
Did you think of any of the following?
- finding fractions of amounts
- finding equivalent fractions
- ordering a list of fractions from smallest to greatest or vice versa
- adding and subtracting fractions
- multiplying and dividing fractions
- and using fractions within other topics:
- solving problems using proportion
- algebraic equations which involve fractions
- calculating probabilities