Session 2: Units of measure
In this session you will be calculating using units of measure and focusing on length, time, weight, capacity and money. You will already be using these skills in everyday life when:
- working out which train you need to catch to get to your meeting on time
- weighing or measuring ingredients when cooking
- doing rough conversions if you are abroad to work out how much your meal costs in British pounds.
By the end of this session you will be able to:
- understand that there are different units used for measuring and how to choose the appropriate unit
- convert between measurements in the same system (e.g. grams and kilograms) and those in different systems (e.g. litres and gallons)
- use exchange rates to convert currencies
- work with time and timetables
- work out the average speed of a journey using a formula.
First watch the video below which introduces units of measure.