In this session you have explored how goal setting and social support can be used during rehabilitation from sport injury.
The main learning points from this session are:
- Psychological interventions can help people to cope with the challenges of sport injury.
- Goal setting is an effective tool in sport injury rehabilitation.
- There are three types of goal: outcome, performance and process goals.
- Effective goal setting should adhere to the SMARTER principles and should include both short-term and long-term goals.
- Social support can be provided by a wide range of people around an injured athlete.
- Five broad categories of social support have been identified: emotional, technical, informational, tangible and motivational support.