4 What I hope to gain from this course
There are many reasons why someone might choose to undertake a course about internships and other work experiences, and identifying which of those resonate the most with you will help you to focus your attention on relevant aspects of the content as you progress through each week. The next activity will help you to do this.
Activity 4 What I want to know about internships and other work experiences
Look at the list below and identify the reason(s) most relevant to you for studying this course:
- I want to know what my options are
- I want to know what an internship is and why everyone says I must do one
- I’d like to explore the skills and experience I could develop through work experience
- I’d love to do some work experience but I don’t know where to find it
- I want to identify the best work experience for me and my career plans
- I’ve done lots of work experience already and it isn’t helping me to secure the right job, so I want to understand what I’m doing wrong
- I’ve got an internship coming up and I need to know how to make the most of it
- I’ve heard that employers sometimes exploit their interns and I want to avoid that happening to me
- I’ve applied for lots of work experience opportunities and I haven’t even had an interview
- I’m a mature career changer and I need to gain some experience that is relevant to my current and future plans.
- I’d like to explore more flexible approaches to work experience.
- Other (type your ideas below)
All the issues raised in this activity will be addressed in this course. Keep a note of the ones that were most important to you and refer to your list as you progress. Tick them off as your questions are answered.