1 Consider necessary life changes
Studying for a PhD is a major commitment. Even if you intend to study part-time, doing a PhD will be a more demanding and less bounded commitment than part-time study on a taught course.
Activity 1 Life changes
Think about the following questions and make some decisions, and possibly some notes on what you’ve decided.
- What changes will you need to make in your life, and are you willing to accept them?
- If you are currently in employment, are you ready to give up your work or reduce your working hours substantially?
- If you have caring responsibilities, how will you manage them alongside your study?
- Are you ready to change your place of residence if you obtain a PhD place at a university in a different part of the country?
- How will you fund your PhD period? Even if you obtain a studentship, you will probably be living on a tight budget. Will you be able to manage financially?
Some similar points were raised in Session 1, but the difference now is that you are making concrete plans.