The Future is Open. Find out more about The Open University's courses and qualifications
Below is a list of resources which we hope will be of interest to asylum seekers and refugees who wish to discover free online courses from The Open University and other providers. These include free courses for learning English to information about working as a translator.
We also provide links to some of the key refugee support organisations and useful resources they provide. Many sources of support can change so please note this is not a comprehensive list.
Free English Language courses
A range of free courses to help you develop basic English skills to progress to English in the workplace. Choose the free course that best suits your interests and needs.
Free Everyday English courses
Free English skills courses
More English courses
Other skills and subjects
A selection of free courses and resources on other topics you can learn through the medium of English.
Free mathematics and numeracy courses
Free resources for life and work skills
Free mental health and wellbeing resources
Support and resources from other organisations
UK Visas and Immigration (GOV.UK) – Seek protection or asylum
General resources for educational support and finance
- Cara (the Council for At-Risk Academics) provides urgently-needed help to academics in immediate danger, those forced into exile, and many who choose to work on in their home countries despite serious risks. Cara also supports higher education institutions whose work is at risk or compromised.
- Kiron offers free online learning opportunities to refugees and underserved communities.
- Learning Equality supports the creation, adaptation and distribution of open educational resources - browse resources on the Kolibri platform.
- UCAS Student Finance guidance for refugees and asylum seekers. If you're a refugee or asylum seeker applying to higher education, there may be support available to help you with finance and your studies.
- Distance learning resources collated by Migrant Help.
- STAR (Student Action for Refugees) is the national network of students building a more understanding and just society where refugees are welcomed and can thrive in the UK.
- Refugee Education UK (formerly RSN) equips young refugees to build positive futures by thriving in education.
- Language support for adult refugees - A Council of Europe Toolkit.
Legal advice and support
- GOV.UK - Find a legal aid adviser (England and Wales). Search for a legal adviser or family mediator with a legal aid contract in England and Wales.
- GOV.UK - Find an immigration adviser. You can get immigration advice from an immigration adviser if you need help with getting permission to stay in the UK.
- Help with a legal problem (Scotland)
- Finding a solicitor (Northern Ireland)
- ASAP (Asylum Support Appeals Project). ASAP’s aim is to reduce destitution experienced by asylum seekers by helping them to obtain housing and welfare support.
- Joint Council for the Welfare of Immigrants
- Asylum Aid
- The Law Society
- Law Society of Scotland
- The Law Society of Northern Ireland
General advice and support
Trafficking and services to children and young people
More from The Open University
Advocacy and research
The Refugees’ Educational Resources (RefER) project report (November 2018)
Year of Mygration (2018)