4 Managing Parkinson’s
Having worked through Section 3 [Tip: hold Ctrl and click a link to open it in a new tab. (Hide tip)] you should now have a general understanding of the possible communication and cognitive problems in Parkinson’s, how they can be managed, and your role in this. In the previous sections, you learned about what Parkinson’s is and studied in-depth information about motor symptoms and non-motor symptoms. We have also considered how you can support people with Parkinson’s to manage their condition. In this section we will look in detail at the ways in which Parkinson’s is managed. This section is important to build on your understanding and help you to support and manage people’s Parkinson’s as best you can.
In this section we look at the following questions:
- What are the three main ways to manage Parkinson’s?
- Who is in the multidisciplinary team?
- What is medication management?
- What are the main drug treatments for Parkinson’s?
- Why is it important that people with Parkinson’s get their medication on time, every time?
- What surgical options are available?
- What other methods do people use to manage their condition?
The purpose of this section is to give you an understanding of the processes, procedures, methods, techniques and services used to manage Parkinson’s.
By the end of this section you should be able to identify and describe the following:
- the range of methods, practices and possible interventions used to support people to manage their symptoms
- common issues that arise when medication is not taken or given on time and the consequences of this
- common side effects of Parkinson’s medication and the consequences of these for people with the condition
- what can be done to lessen these side effects
- the types of local, community and statutory agencies, support services, and networks appropriate to the person with Parkinson’s, and how to access these.
You can download this resource and view it offline. It may be useful as part of a group activity.
4.2 What are the three main ways to manage Parkinson’s?