Course and badge information
This is a badged course, which will take no more than 24 hours to study and means that you can gain a digital badge compatible with Mozilla Open badges upon successful completion of the course. The course is divided into five sections, each of which concludes with a quiz and a reflective activity. You can study the course in small chunks to fit in with your work/life commitments.
By studying this course and meeting the required completion criteria, you have the option of gaining a digital badge.
What is a badged course?
Badges are a means of digitally recognising certain skills and achievements acquired through informal study and are entirely optional. They do not carry any formal credit as they are not subject to the same rigour as formal assessment; nor are they proof that you have studied the full unit or course. They are a useful means of demonstrating participation and recognising informal learning.
If you'd like to learn more about badges, you will find more information on the following websites:
- – this information is provided by Mozilla, a leading provider of the open badges system.
- Digital Badges – this information is provided by HASTAC (Humanities, Arts, Science and Technology Alliance and Collaboratory), a global community working to transform how we learn, and particularly making use of technology.
Gaining your badge
To gain the Understanding Parkinson’s for health and social care staff digital badge, you will need to:
- Complete the quizzes that you will find at the end of each of the first four sections of the course. These section quizzes are formative. They are really helpful in consolidating your learning but there is no pass mark.
- Complete the end-of-course quiz that you’ll find at the end of Section 5 and achieve at least 40%.
When you have successfully achieved the completion criteria you will receive your Understanding Parkinson’s for health and social care staff badge. You will receive email notification that your badge has been awarded and it will appear in the My Badges area in your profile. Please note it can take up to 24 hours for a badge to be issued.
Your badge demonstrates that you have achieved the learning outcomes for the course. These outcomes are listed at the start of each of section.
The digital badge does not represent formal credit or award, but rather it demonstrates successful participation in informal learning activity.
Accessing your badge
From within the Understanding Parkinson’s for health and social care staff course:
- Go to the navigation block and under My Profile you can access My Badges. When you click on My Badges you will be taken to your My Badges page on OpenLearn Works.
- To view the details of the badge, to download it, or to add it to your Mozilla Backpack, click on the badge and you will be taken to the Badge Information page.
- You can either download this page to your computer or add the badge to your Mozilla Backpack.
Sharing your badge
Badges awarded within OpenLearn Works can be shared via the Mozilla Backpack.
Downloading your badge to your Mozilla Backpack
You will need to create a Mozilla Backpack account.
When you have done this, click on the ‘Add To Backpack’ button, and you will be asked to login to Mozilla if you have not already done so.
Follow the instructions on the screen and your badge should be automatically added to your backpack.
It would be great to receive your feedback about this course. We are keen to know about the parts you found useful and where you feel we can improve. You can post your views on our short survey – thank you in advance for completing it.