This hands-on course will give you the skills and knowledge you need to create and deliver confident presentations and speeches.
This free course introduces the mechanics of effective, persuasive oral presentations, by giving you the opportunity to analyse examples and then create your own. Using resources such as TED Talk videos, you will see how experts deliver professional talks and famous speeches, observe what works, and identify how language connects ideas and keeps a listener engaged.
You will find your own examples of impressive presentations, and you will work to create and practise your own talk.
At the end of the course you will have a powerful presentation you have created and can be proud of, which you can take away with you and present with confidence in your academic, professional or personal life.
This course is intended for those with an interest in presenting, creating presentations or improving their public speaking skills - for school, work, or simply for fun - and does not require any previous experience of studying this subject.
Course learning outcomes
After studying this course, you should be able to:
- understand the key elements of a good presentation
- experiment with ways to start and end a presentation that make an impact
- link ideas in the main part of a presentation that capture the audience's attention
- consider issues such as body language, voice projection and intercultural differences in approaches to oral presentations
- create and use a checklist for effective presentations.
First Published: 02/11/2015