Have you always wanted to speak Mandarin Chinese? Have you even started learning a few basic words and expressions? If so, this follow-up to Getting started with Chinese 1, or your own equivalent knowledge of the language, will give you more essentials of reading, writing, speaking and listening through a variety of online activities. A perfect online short course to develop further the skills needed to speak and understand simple Mandarin Chinese in everyday contexts!
This OpenLearn course is an extract from the Open Centre for Languages and Cultures short course, LXC002 Beginners Chinese 2: 开始吧 kāishĭ ba! After completing this free course, you may wish to register for the full course to continue your learning!
Course learning outcomes
After studying this course, you should be able to:
- refer to different languages and use different terms such as China, Chinese books, Chinese people and Chinese language
- talk about activities, such as watching TV and learning Chinese
- recognise where time expressions should be placed in sentences
- ask questions with shénme 什么
(‘what’), nǎr 哪儿 (‘where’) and understand the different usages of dōu 都 (‘all, both’)
- ask a choice question with háishì 还是 (‘or’).
First Published: 08/02/2021