Whether you want to visit, work or live in a French-speaking environment, you will get more out of the experience if you can communicate effectively with people. In this short course you will begin to develop your reading and listening skills in French and learn to speak and write the language to communicate in everyday situations. You will acquire a knowledge of the basic structures of French along with key vocabulary to meet and greet people and to talk about yourself and others.
This OpenLearn course is an extract from the beginning of the Open Centre for Languages and Cultures short course, LGXF001 Beginners French 1: eh oui! After completing this free course, you may wish to register for the full course to continue your learning!
Course learning outcomes
After studying this course, you should be able to:
- say hello, goodbye and some of the first phrases to use when meeting a French speaker
- give one's name and nationality
- use greetings and partings in different settings
- recognise 'u' and 'ou' sounds and the basic rules of French pronunciation
- distinguish between masculine and feminine forms, spot the differences between them when reading and listening, and pronounce each form correctly.
First Published: 04/01/2021
Great to hear and practice pronunciation