6 Summary of Session 2
In this session you have explored how to support the development of resilience in athletes and coaches. With reference to research, you have examined the optimum conditions or the facilitation of resilience and considered a number of interventions to build resilience.
Some of the key learning points of this session are:
- It is important to consider the purpose of implementing a programme to develop resilience.
- The role of the environment is a key factor for the development of resilience. An environment that offers a high level of challenge and support is identified as being most facilitative.
- Mental fortitude training, planned disruptions and Rational-Emotive Behaviour Therapy (REBT) are examples of interventions for building resilience.
- The development of team resilience differs from building resilience in individual athletes and coaches.
- Supporting the development of resilience in young athletes can aid them as they navigate the athletic development journey. This support can come from education settings and sports clubs.
Congratulations on finishing this free course on resilience in sport.
This OpenLearn course is an adapted extract from the Open University course.