1.1 Scenarios prompt
Theme: Designing a differentiated learning experience for all pupils
Describe the positive scenario for your school. Some ideas are given below. Amend, add or delete them to suit your own situation.
- Pupils experience industry-standard software/systems in their curriculum subjects
- Pupils are fully supported to use their own devices in your school, including assistive technologies such as text read back software
- Pupils' digital confidence and access are assessed on entry and communicated to the relevant teachers and support staff.
- Pupils user their own devices to integrate their learning, fit learning into their lives, and make transitions (into home learning, into work placements, into full employment, when leaving school)
- Sources of digital disadvantage are addressed e.g. with loan schemes, drop-in skills sessions
- Learning resources include a wide variety of media to suit a range of learning needs
- The school uses digital technologies to support pupils away from the school, including consistent use of a digital platform for access to home learning and curriculum resources.
- Pupils are fully involved in decisions about their learning environment
Ideas to consider:
- How would the school benefit if this scenario were fully realised?
- In what ways is your school already moving towards this scenario?
- What are the barriers?
Describe the negative scenario for your school. Some ideas are given below. Amend, add or delete them to suit your own situation.
- Pupils are frustrated in their attempts to use their own devices and access third party services
- Pupils' digital skills are not supported and not seen as relevant to their learning
- Nobody talks to pupils about their digital experiences, preferences or needs
- Pupils' own devices and digital practices are seen mainly as a problem (unsafe, distracting).
- Digital technologies are not being used to address disabilities, equality issues, or other sources of disadvantage
- Staff are reluctant to move away from traditional teaching approaches
Ideas to consider :
- What would be the likely consequences of this scenario?
- In what ways is your school already at risk of this outcome?
- What can you start doing now to minimise the risks?