Introduction and guidance
Welcome to this free course, Personal branding for career success. The course lasts eight weeks, with approximately three hours of study each week. You can work through the course at your own pace, so if you have more time one week there is no problem with pushing on to complete another week’s study.
You will be able to test your understanding of the course through the weekly interactive quizzes, of which Weeks 4 and 8 will provide you with an opportunity to earn a badge to demonstrate your new skills. You can read more on how to study the course and about badges in the next sections.
After completing this course, you will be able to:
- describe what personal branding is and understand how the concept can help you in your career
- understand how relevant marketing techniques and tactics can be applied to branding a person
- define your own, authentic personal brand and know who you want to market it to and why
- promote yourself effectively to employers, both in your workplace and beyond
- devise an appropriate plan of action to develop and promote your personal brand and enhance your career.
Moving around the course
In the ‘Summary’ at the end of each week, you can find a link to the next week. If at any time you want to return to the start of the course, click on ‘Course content’. From here you can navigate to any part of the course. Alternatively, use the week links at the top of every page of the course.
It’s also good practice, if you access a link from within a course page (including links to the quizzes), to open it in a new window or tab. That way you can easily return to where you’ve come from without having to use the back button on your browser.
The Open University would really appreciate a few minutes of your time to tell us about yourself and your expectations for the course before you begin, in our optional. Participation will be completely confidential and we will not pass on your details to others.
Get careers guidance
This course has been included in the National Careers Service to help you develop new skills.