5 Summary of Session 1
This session has provided a brief introduction to the psychological aspects of sport injury, which we will develop in the sessions that follow. It has demonstrated that while injury is commonly thought of as a physiological experience, the psychological aspects of injury are highly important.
The main learning points from this first session are:
- Sport injury is a fairly common occurrence in sport and exercise settings.
- Sport injury has a psychological component as well as a physiological component.
- The psychological aspects of sport injury can broadly be split into two categories:
- a.Psychological factors that may increase an athlete’s risk of developing an injury
- b.Psychological reactions to sport injury.
In the next session, you will examine the team around the injured person and explore the importance of a holistic and multidisciplinary approach to their support.
You can now go to.