Session 3: Can psychological factors increase the risk of injury?
In the previous sessions you have identified that the psychological aspects of sport injury can be split into two components:
- Psychological factors that can increase the risk of developing an injury, and
- Psychological reactions to injury.
In the next two sessions you will focus on psychological factors that can increase the risk of developing a sport injury. In this session you will look at what these factors are and how they can increase the risk of injury, and in Session 4 you will look at how the risk of injury from these factors can be reduced. The following video explains more, featuring Caroline Heaney who is the author of this course.
By the end of this session, you should be able to:
- understand how psychological factors might predispose an athlete to injury
- explore the link between stress and injury
- explore the link between personality and injury.