My OpenLearn Profile
- Personalise your OpenLearn profile
- Save your favourite content
- Get recognition for your learning
Supply chain sustainability
To survive in today’s competitive environment, organisations need not only have an efficient and effective supply chain for the context in which they operate, they also have to consider issues of sustainability in their supply chain strategies. These issues are a consideration beyond those of environmental sustainability and also encompass social sustainability (ethics and wellbeing), financial sustainability, and network sustainability. This free course, Supply chain sustainability, introduces four sustainability perspectives and discusses how these perspectives can assess the sustainability of any supply chain.
Course learning outcomes
After studying this course, you should be able to:
- understand what is meant by sustainability in the context of the supply chain
- explain the four perspectives of supply chain sustainability
- assess the degree of sustainability in your (or any other) organisation from each of these four perspectives, and provide suggestions for improving
- critically assess the extent of sustainability that is realistic in a given situation, and identify and explain the constraints to sustainability.
You can start this course right now without signing-up. Click on any of the course content sections below to start at any point in this course.
If you want to be able to track your progress, earn a free Statement of Participation, and access all course quizzes and activities, sign-up.
- Learning outcomes
- 1 What do we mean by the term ‘sustainable supply chain’?
- 2 The environmental perspective
- 3 The financial perspective
- 4 The social perspective
- 5 The network perspective
- 6 The four perspectives of supply chain sustainability: a self-assessment
- Keep on learning
- Further reading
Create an account to get more
Track your progress
Review and track your learning through your OpenLearn Profile.
Statement of participation
On completetion of a course you will earn a Statement of participation.
Access all course activities
Take course quizzes and access all learning.
Review the course
When you have finished a course leave a review and tell others what you think.
Creative commons: The Open University is proud to release this free course under a Creative Commons licence.
However, any third-party materials featured within it are used with permission and are not ours to give away. These materials are not subject to the Creative Commons licence. See terms and conditions and our FAQs.
Full copyright details can be found in the Acknowledgements section of each week.
For further information, take a look at our frequently asked questions which may give you the support you need.Have a question?
Making the decision to study can be a big step, which is why you'll want a trusted University. The Open University has 50 years’ experience delivering flexible learning and 170,000 students are studying with us right now. Take a look at all Open University courses.
Every year, thousands of students decide to study with The Open University. With over 120 qualifications, we’ve got the right course for you.
About this free course
8 hours study
Level 1: Introductory
Download this course
Free statement of participation on completion of these courses.