My OpenLearn Profile
- Personalise your OpenLearn profile
- Save your favourite content
- Get recognition for your learning
Environmental management and organisations
It is believed that environmental management requires action at all levels and by organisations of all types and sizes. However it is not always clear what we mean by environmental management and the role that organisations do and could play. This free course, explores the different interpretations and viewpoints involved by using system thinking to provide a framework with which to better understand environmental management and organisations.
Course learning outcomes
After studying this course, you should be able to:
- provide definitions of environment, management, systems and organisations in relation to environmental management
- describe organisations as systems and their role in environmental management
- understand the usefulness of systems thinking in relation to environmental management in organisations
- explain how environmental management can be used as environmental protection and how organisations can define and manage risk.
You can start this course right now without signing-up. Click on any of the course content sections below to start at any point in this course.
If you want to be able to track your progress, earn a free Statement of Participation, and access all course quizzes and activities, sign-up.
- Learning outcomes
- 1 Defining environment
- 2 Defining management
- 3 Defining environmental management
- 4 Defining systems
- 5 Systems and environmental management
- 6 Environmental milestones
- 7 DDT
- 8 Introducing organisations
- 9 Organisation as a system
- 10 Beyond the organisation
- 11 Reflecting on organisations and environment
- 12 Framing in environmental management
- 13 Environmental disasters
- 14 Risk management
- 15 Voluntary and compulsory approaches
- Keep on learning
Create an account to get more
Track your progress
Review and track your learning through your OpenLearn Profile.
Statement of participation
On completetion of a course you will earn a Statement of participation.
Access all course activities
Take course quizzes and access all learning.
Review the course
When you have finished a course leave a review and tell others what you think.
Creative commons: The Open University is proud to release this free course under a Creative Commons licence.
However, any third-party materials featured within it are used with permission and are not ours to give away. These materials are not subject to the Creative Commons licence. See terms and conditions and our FAQs.
Full copyright details can be found in the Acknowledgements section of each week.
For further information, take a look at our frequently asked questions which may give you the support you need.Have a question?
Making the decision to study can be a big step, which is why you'll want a trusted University. The Open University has 50 years’ experience delivering flexible learning and 170,000 students are studying with us right now. Take a look at all Open University courses.
Every year, thousands of students decide to study with The Open University. With over 120 qualifications, we’ve got the right course for you.
About this free course
15 hours study
Level 2: Intermediate
Download this course
Free statement of participation on completion of these courses.