My OpenLearn Profile
- Personalise your OpenLearn profile
- Save your favourite content
- Get recognition for your learning
Analytical science: Secrets of the Mary Rose
This free course, Analytical science: Secrets of the Mary Rose, teaches you about the analytical techniques that are used in the research and investigation of historical objects using the case study of the Mary Rose. It covers the use of sonar to locate shipwrecks, and the analysis of the artefacts found on the ship, and the crew and their remains.
Course learning outcomes
After studying this course, you should be able to:
- appreciate why and how scientific analysis can be applied to ancient artefacts such as the Mary Rose
- understand how sonar surveys can be applied to locate shipwrecks and other objects buried under the seabed
- identify techniques that can be used to ascertain the preservation state of artefacts
- describe how bones and teeth can be analysed to investigate the origins, health, nutrition and activities of a deceased human being
- understand how bacterial and chemical degradation of artefacts can be investigated and mitigated against.
You can start this course right now without signing-up. Click on any of the course content sections below to start at any point in this course.
If you want to be able to track your progress, earn a free Statement of Participation, and access all course quizzes and activities, sign-up.
- Learning outcomes
- 1 The Mary Rose
- 2 Raising the Mary Rose
- 3 The sinking of the Mary Rose - a Tudor mystery
- 4 Analysis of the Mary Rose crew's remains
- 5 Preserving the Mary Rose
- Keep on learning
Create an account to get more
Track your progress
Review and track your learning through your OpenLearn Profile.
Statement of participation
On completetion of a course you will earn a Statement of participation.
Access all course activities
Take course quizzes and access all learning.
Review the course
When you have finished a course leave a review and tell others what you think.
Creative commons: The Open University is proud to release this free course under a Creative Commons licence.
However, any third-party materials featured within it are used with permission and are not ours to give away. These materials are not subject to the Creative Commons licence. See terms and conditions and our FAQs.
Full copyright details can be found in the Acknowledgements section of each week.
For further information, take a look at our frequently asked questions which may give you the support you need.Have a question?
Making the decision to study can be a big step, which is why you'll want a trusted University. The Open University has 50 years’ experience delivering flexible learning and 170,000 students are studying with us right now. Take a look at all Open University courses.
Every year, thousands of students decide to study with The Open University. With over 120 qualifications, we’ve got the right course for you.
About this free course
12 hours study
Level 2: Intermediate
Become an OU student
Download this course
Free statement of participation on completion of these courses.