My OpenLearn Profile
- Personalise your OpenLearn profile
- Save your favourite content
- Get recognition for your learning
Diagramming for development 1 - Bounding realities
Diagramming for development 1 - Bounding realities, is a free course that introduces you to the systems diagramming techniques of Rich pictures, Spray diagrams and Systems maps. Using a case study project based in Africa, the course illustrates the use of powerful use of systems diagramming for international development management. This is a companion course to Diagramming for development 2: exploring inter-relationships.
Course learning outcomes
After studying this course, you should be able to:
- describe and discriminate between three different diagramming techniques for making sense of realities
- appreciate how each technique can be used to explore a complex situation, issue or problem
- use particular diagramming techniques for brainstorming ideas and concepts associated with complex situations
- analyse some links between variables in development intervention
- identify initial strengths and weaknesses, opportunities and threats associated with development intervention.
First Published: 17/08/2012
You can start this course right now without signing-up. Click on any of the course content sections below to start at any point in this course.
If you want to be able to track your progress, earn a free Statement of Participation, and access all course quizzes and activities, sign-up.
- Learning outcomes
- 1 Case study: the Working for Water Programme
- 2 The role of diagramming
- 3 Using diagramming techniques to explore the WWP
- Keep on learning
Tags, Ratings and Social Bookmarking
Create an account to get more
Track your progress
Review and track your learning through your OpenLearn Profile.
Statement of Participation
On completion of a course you will earn a Statement of Participation.
Access all course activities
Take course quizzes and access all learning.
Review the course
When you have finished a course leave a review and tell others what you think.
Creative commons: The Open University is proud to release this free course under a Creative Commons licence.
However, any third-party materials featured within it are used with permission and are not ours to give away. These materials are not subject to the Creative Commons licence. See terms and conditions and our FAQs.
Full copyright details can be found in the Acknowledgements section of each week.
For further information, take a look at our frequently asked questions which may give you the support you need.Have a question?
Making the decision to study can be a big step, which is why you'll want a trusted University. The Open University has 50 years’ experience delivering flexible learning and 170,000 students are studying with us right now. Take a look at all Open University courses.
Every year, thousands of students decide to study with The Open University. With over 120 qualifications, we’ve got the right course for you.
About this free course
4 hours study
Level 3: Advanced
Download this course
Free statement of participation on completion of these courses.