The Open University since 2006
Alternatively you can skip the navigation by pressing 'Enter'.
Inside The Commons: Reinventing The HouseSaturday, 22nd October 2016 17:30 - BBC Two (Scotland only)In the final part of this major four-part series, battles break out over the future of the House. Read more: Inside The Commons: Reinventing The House
BBC Inside Science - 2016/2017 series: Lithium Batteries, HCFCs, Cell Mapping and Hunting DogsAvailable for over a yearThis week’s Inside Science looks at what we demand from batteries and plans for a human cell atlas. Read more: BBC Inside Science - 2016/2017 series: Lithium Batteries, HCFCs, Cell Mapping and Hunting Dogs
The Bottom Line: Autumn 2016: Activist investorsAvailable for over a year
Sleuths, Spies & Sorcerers: Andrew Marr’s Paperback Heroes: DetectivesAvailable until Friday, 18th November 2016 22:00
Methods in Motion: Remaking self-helpDr Meg-John Barker discusses how new ways of thinking can be linked to new forms of investigation Read more: Methods in Motion: Remaking self-help
Take the photographic memory testCan you capture scenes just by looking at them? Find out with our photographic memory test. Launch now: Take the photographic memory test
Liquidity managementIn this free course you will focus on liquidity management, one of the fundamental aspects... Try: Liquidity management now
Introduction to bookkeeping and accountingLearn about the essential numerical skills required for accounting and bookkeeping. This free... Try: Introduction to bookkeeping and accounting now
Are you always the quiet one when it comes to group discussion? This free course, Groups and teamwork, will help you improve your working relationships with other people in groups of three or more. The course also deals with project life cycles, project management and the role of the leader.
After studying this course, you should be able to:
- describe the main features of work groups and teams
- discuss the main group processes that affect work group or team effectiveness
- describe the main features of projects, project teams and project management
- discuss some types of theories about effective leadership.
- Current section: Introduction
- Learning outcomes
- 1 course outline
- 2 Reading 1 Groups and teams
- 3 Reading 2 Working in groups
- 4 Reading 3 Projects and project teams
- 5 Reading 4 Leadership
- 5.1 The leader's role
- 5.2 Leaders and authority
- 5.3 Leadership theories
- 5.4 Conclusions
- Keep on learning
Study this free course
Enrol to access the full course, get recognition for the skills you learn, track your progress and on completion gain a statement of participation to demonstrate your learning to others. Make your learning visible!
Groups and teamwork
Are you always the quiet one when it comes to group discussion? This course will help you improve your working relationships with other people in groups of three or more. This course also deals with project life cycles, project management and the role of the leader.
This OpenLearn course provides a sample of level 1 study in
This free course includes adapted extracts from an Open University course which is no longer available to new students. If you found this interesting you could explore more free Engineering and Technology courses or view the range of currently available OU Engineering and Technology courses.
Copyright & revisions
Originally published: Thursday, 17th March 2016
Last updated on: Thursday, 17th March 2016
- Creative-Commons: The Open University is proud to release this free course under a Creative Commons licence. However, any third-party materials featured within it are used with permission and are not ours to give away. These materials are not subject to the Creative Commons licence. See terms and conditions. Full details can be found in the Acknowledgements and our FAQs section.
- This site has Copy Reuse Tracking enabled - see our FAQs for more information.
If you enjoyed this, why not follow a feed to find out when we have new things like it? Choose an RSS feed from the list below. (Don't know what to do with RSS feeds?)
Remember, you can also make your own, personal feed by combining tags from around OpenLearn.
- Latest OpenLearn pages
- Latest pages from OpenLearn - Engineering and Technology
- Latest pages tagged - T205_2
- Latest pages tagged - teams
- Latest pages tagged - leadership
- Latest pages tagged - skills for work: project planning
- Latest pages tagged - skills for work: communication
- Latest pages tagged - Skills for work: leadership and management
- Latest pages tagged - Skills for work: creative thinking
- Latest comments on this page
All our alternative formats are free for you to download, for more information about the different formats we offer please see our FAQs. The most frequently used are Word (for accessibility), PDF (for print) and ePub and Kindle to download to eReaders*.
- Word (1.7 MB)
- PDF (3.5 MB)
- ePub 3.0 (1.2 MB)
- ePub 2.0 (1.2 MB)
- Kindle (648 KB)
- RSS (447 KB)
- HTML (1023 KB)
- SCORM (1017 KB)
- OUXML Package (63 KB)
- OUXML File (198 KB)
- IMS Common cartridge
*Please note you will need an ePub and Mobi reader for these formats.