The Open University since 2006
Alternatively you can skip the navigation by pressing 'Enter'.
More or Less: How many cows for a fiver?Friday, 2nd December 2016 16:30 - BBC Radio 4 BBC Radio 4
More or Less: How many cows for a fiver?Sunday, 4th December 2016 20:00 - BBC Radio 4 BBC Radio 4
The Secret History of Our Streets - London: Arnold CircusTuesday, 6th December 2016 22:00 - BBC Four
The Secret History of Our Streets - London: Arnold CircusThursday, 8th December 2016 00:45 - BBC Four
Colour: The Spectrum of Science: Episode 1: Colours of EarthAvailable until Saturday, 31st December 2016 23:00Dr Helen Czerski explores the golds, whites, reds, blues and much more in the first episode of the series. Read more: Colour: The Spectrum of Science: Episode 1: Colours of Earth
BBC Inside Science - 2016/2017 series: Alzheimer's research, Lucy, Glowing bandage package, Supernovas to HollywoodAvailable for over a year
The Secret History of Our Streets - London: Reverdy RoadAvailable until Saturday, 31st December 2016 01:30
All in the Mind - Autumn/Winter 2016: Pathological demand avoidance, wisdom and stand-up comedy anxietyAvailable for over a year
Human Rights Week10 December is Human Rights Day but here at The Open University we'll be exploring progress made... Read more: Human Rights Week
Do Christmas lights interfere with your wifi signal?Beware: Britain's communication regulator warns that your twinkling festive lights might be... Read more: Do Christmas lights interfere with your wifi signal?
Exploring equality and equity in educationThis free course, Exploring equality and equity in education, considers the complexity of social... Try: Exploring equality and equity in education now
Organisations and management accountingThis free course, Organisations and management accounting, examines the nature of organisations,... Try: Organisations and management accounting now
Are you always the quiet one when it comes to group discussion? This free course, Groups and teamwork, will help you improve your working relationships with other people in groups of three or more. The course also deals with project life cycles, project management and the role of the leader.
After studying this course, you should be able to:
- describe the main features of work groups and teams
- discuss the main group processes that affect work group or team effectiveness
- describe the main features of projects, project teams and project management
- discuss some types of theories about effective leadership.
- Current section: Introduction
- Learning outcomes
- 1 course outline
- 2 Reading 1 Groups and teams
- 3 Reading 2 Working in groups
- 4 Reading 3 Projects and project teams
- 5 Reading 4 Leadership
- 5.1 The leader's role
- 5.2 Leaders and authority
- 5.3 Leadership theories
- 5.4 Conclusions
- Keep on learning
Study this free course
Enrol to access the full course, get recognition for the skills you learn, track your progress and on completion gain a statement of participation to demonstrate your learning to others. Make your learning visible!
Groups and teamwork
Are you always the quiet one when it comes to group discussion? This course will help you improve your working relationships with other people in groups of three or more. This course also deals with project life cycles, project management and the role of the leader.
This OpenLearn course provides a sample of level 1 study in
This free course includes adapted extracts from an Open University course which is no longer available to new students. If you found this interesting you could explore more free Engineering and Technology courses or view the range of currently available OU Engineering and Technology courses.
Copyright & revisions
Originally published: Thursday, 17th March 2016
Last updated on: Thursday, 17th March 2016
- Creative-Commons: The Open University is proud to release this free course under a Creative Commons licence. However, any third-party materials featured within it are used with permission and are not ours to give away. These materials are not subject to the Creative Commons licence. See terms and conditions. Full details can be found in the Acknowledgements and our FAQs section.
- This site has Copy Reuse Tracking enabled - see our FAQs for more information.
If you enjoyed this, why not follow a feed to find out when we have new things like it? Choose an RSS feed from the list below. (Don't know what to do with RSS feeds?)
Remember, you can also make your own, personal feed by combining tags from around OpenLearn.
- Latest OpenLearn pages
- Latest pages from OpenLearn - Engineering and Technology
- Latest pages tagged - T205_2
- Latest pages tagged - teams
- Latest pages tagged - leadership
- Latest pages tagged - skills for work: project planning
- Latest pages tagged - skills for work: communication
- Latest pages tagged - skills for work: leadership and management
- Latest pages tagged - Skills for work: creative thinking
- Latest comments on this page
All our alternative formats are free for you to download, for more information about the different formats we offer please see our FAQs. The most frequently used are Word (for accessibility), PDF (for print) and ePub and Kindle to download to eReaders*.
- Word (1.7 MB)
- PDF (3.5 MB)
- ePub 3.0 (1.2 MB)
- ePub 2.0 (1.2 MB)
- Kindle (648 KB)
- RSS (447 KB)
- HTML (1023 KB)
- SCORM (1017 KB)
- OUXML Package (63 KB)
- OUXML File (198 KB)
- IMS Common cartridge
*Please note you will need an ePub and Mobi reader for these formats.