My OpenLearn Profile
- Personalise your OpenLearn profile
- Save your favourite content
- Get recognition for your learning
The impact of technology on children's physical activity
This free course, The impact of technology on children's physical activity, explores the impact of technology on children’s physical activity levels. It examines the different types of technology that children have access to and the ways in which they engage with it. As part of this discussion this course looks at information from a range of different sources and evaluates this evidence to try and answer the question of whether technology is helping or hindering children’s physical activity levels.
Course learning outcomes
After studying this course, you should be able to:
- describe how children interact with technology in a wide range of ways in today’s digital universe
- discuss the relationship between screen time and low levels of physical activity in children
- evaluate evidence exploring whether technology such as video games and wearable activity monitoring as well as health and fitness apps aimed at children impact physical activity levels
- identify key discussion points relating to the question: ‘Is technology helping or hindering children’s physical activity levels?’.
You can start this course right now without signing-up. Click on any of the course content sections below to start at any point in this course.
If you want to be able to track your progress, earn a free Statement of Participation, and access all course quizzes and activities, sign-up.
- Learning outcomes
- 1 Children’s physical activity levels
- 2 In what ways do children interact with technology?
- 3 What impact does screen time have on activity levels?
- 4 Why is controlling screen time important?
- 5 Active gaming: a positive side to screen time?
- 6 Growth in wearable technology: is this reaching children?
- 7 Final reflections
- Keep on learning
Create an account to get more
Track your progress
Review and track your learning through your OpenLearn Profile.
Statement of participation
On completetion of a course you will earn a Statement of participation.
Access all course activities
Take course quizzes and access all learning.
Review the course
When you have finished a course leave a review and tell others what you think.
Creative commons: The Open University is proud to release this free course under a Creative Commons licence.
However, any third-party materials featured within it are used with permission and are not ours to give away. These materials are not subject to the Creative Commons licence. See terms and conditions and our FAQs.
Full copyright details can be found in the Acknowledgements section of each week.
For further information, take a look at our frequently asked questions which may give you the support you need.Have a question?
Making the decision to study can be a big step, which is why you'll want a trusted University. The Open University has nearly 50 years’ experience delivering flexible learning and 170,000 students are studying with us right now. Take a look at all Open University courses.
Every year, thousands of students decide to study with The Open University. With over 120 qualifications, we’ve got the right course for you.
About this free course
6 hours study
Level 1: Introductory
Download this course
Free statement of participation on completion of these courses.