10 Summary of Session 5
This session has provided an introduction to the topic of breast health in sport and exercise participation. It has demonstrated that while breast pain and discomfort is commonly thought of as a barrier to sport and exercise, increasing the knowledge and understanding around solutions to these issues can eliminate or reduce their impact.
The main learning points of this fifth session are:
- Breast issues can deter women from participating in sport and exercise.
- Breast pain and discomfort is common, and for women participating in sport and exercise settings it can impact on performance.
- Learning more about breast anatomy and movement of the breast and educating women, coaches and athletes can encourage more women to seek the right support.
- There are three types of sports bra, each suited to different levels of activity, and women should be fitted for the correct type of bra for their needs.
- Getting the right fit of bra is the most important factor in breast support. Education for girls and women should include what elements are important to consider when evaluating bra fit.
In the next session, you will explore the injuries that female athletes are particulary prone to and how to manage the risks of these injuries.
You can now go to Session 6.