My OpenLearn Profile
- Personalise your OpenLearn profile
- Save your favourite content
- Get recognition for your learning
Technology, innovation and management
Develop a critical understanding of technological innovation and management. This free course, Technology, innovation and management, will provide you with an overview and introduction to a range of related concepts, ideas and debates. It adopts a broad definition of innovation and subscribes to the view that a fundamental feature of any innovation process is that it results in gaining value.
Course learning outcomes
After studying this course, you should be able to:
- understand the issues around defining ‘technology’, ‘innovation’ and ‘innovation management’
- recognise the diversity of types of innovation, innovators and innovation settings
- understand the nature and extent of technological change and innovation
- critically assess and explain key current issues in our understanding of innovation as a field of study.
First Published: 02/03/2016
You can start this course right now without signing-up. Click on any of the course content sections below to start at any point in this course.
If you want to be able to track your progress, earn a free Statement of Participation, and access all course quizzes and activities, sign-up.
- Learning outcomes
- 1 Introducing technology, innovation and management
- 2 What is innovation?
- 3 Who are the innovators?
- 4 The meaning of ‘technology’
- 5 The nature of technological change and innovation
- 6 Innovation management
- 7 Sceptical voices
- 8 Recurring and contemporary themes
Tags, Ratings and Social Bookmarking
Create an account to get more
Track your progress
Review and track your learning through your OpenLearn Profile.
Statement of Participation
On completion of a course you will earn a Statement of Participation.
Access all course activities
Take course quizzes and access all learning.
Review the course
When you have finished a course leave a review and tell others what you think.
Creative commons: The Open University is proud to release this free course under a Creative Commons licence.
However, any third-party materials featured within it are used with permission and are not ours to give away. These materials are not subject to the Creative Commons licence. See terms and conditions and our FAQs.
Full copyright details can be found in the Acknowledgements section of each week.
For further information, take a look at our frequently asked questions which may give you the support you need.Have a question?
Making the decision to study can be a big step, which is why you'll want a trusted University. The Open University has 50 years’ experience delivering flexible learning and 170,000 students are studying with us right now. Take a look at all Open University courses.
Every year, thousands of students decide to study with The Open University. With over 120 qualifications, we’ve got the right course for you.
About this free course
10 hours study
Level 3: Advanced
Download this course
Free statement of participation on completion of these courses.