My OpenLearn Profile
- Personalise your OpenLearn profile
- Save your favourite content
- Get recognition for your learning
Understanding mortgages is a free, short course produced in collaboration with MoneySavingExpert.com.
The course explores the mortgage products available in the UK market – their interest rate and other characteristics – and examines the factors involved in making good choices from the product range.
The course explains why and how mortgages can be actively managed by borrowers through such options as overpaying, offsetting and remortgaging.
The course also examines the mortgages from the viewpoint of the lenders, including the factors that affect their decisions about making mortgage advances.
By completing the course you will not only become more knowledgeable about the mortgage market but also more confident about making smart decisions about one of most important areas of personal finance.
The Open University would really appreciate a few minutes of your time to tell us about yourself and your expectations for the course. We welcome your feedback and
suggestions to improve the course.
Course learning outcomes
After studying this course, you should be able to:
- understand how banks and other lenders like building societies make decisions about providing mortgages
- know the different types of mortgage products available and the interest rates that apply to them
- know the benefits in proactively managing your mortgage – for example by periodically moving from one product to another
- understand the various costs involved in buying property
- know the risks involved in having a mortgage and how to manage these.
First Published: 21/08/2019
You can start this course right now without signing-up. Click on any of the course content sections below to start at any point in this course.
If you want to be able to track your progress, earn a free Statement of Participation, and access all course quizzes and activities, sign-up.
- Learning outcomes
- 1 Getting a mortgage: how much can I borrow?
- 2 Half-time quiz
- 3 Mortgage choices: offset, flexible, discounted/low start and portable mortgages?
- 4 Managing your mortgage: overpaying
- 5 The other costs of buying a property
- 6 Mortgages: understanding and managing the risks
- 7 End-of-course quiz
- 8 End of course round-up
Tags, Ratings and Social Bookmarking
Create an account to get more
Track your progress
Review and track your learning through your OpenLearn Profile.
Statement of Participation
On completion of a course you will earn a Statement of Participation.
Access all course activities
Take course quizzes and access all learning.
Review the course
When you have finished a course leave a review and tell others what you think.
Creative commons: The Open University is proud to release this free course under a Creative Commons licence.
However, any third-party materials featured within it are used with permission and are not ours to give away. These materials are not subject to the Creative Commons licence. See terms and conditions and our FAQs.
Full copyright details can be found in the Acknowledgements section of each week.
For further information, take a look at our frequently asked questions which may give you the support you need.Have a question?
Making the decision to study can be a big step, which is why you'll want a trusted University. The Open University has 50 years’ experience delivering flexible learning and 170,000 students are studying with us right now. Take a look at all Open University courses.
Every year, thousands of students decide to study with The Open University. With over 120 qualifications, we’ve got the right course for you.
About this free course
2 hours study
Level 1: Introductory
Download this course
Free statement of participation on completion of these courses.