Routes into IT
Find out more about routes into IT by using the links below.
You can browse the skills, interests and qualities you need to work in different areas of IT, and find out about what you’d need to work as a support technician, an IT manager or a web developer.
For example, as an IT support technician, you will need:
- a thorough knowledge of operating systems, networking, hardware and software
- excellent problem-solving skills
- the ability to explain problems and solutions clearly to non-technical users
- the ability to prioritise, work under pressure and meet deadlines
- a patient and methodical approach
- the ability to work alone or as part of a team
- an awareness of health and safety.
(Source: National Careers Service, 2012a)
Read an IT support technician’s.
The careers website Prospects describes different kinds of jobs in IT and provides details of the qualifications you might need to become an IT consultant or a games developer. While this website is aimed at graduates, many of the jobs it describes do not need degree-level qualifications.
The National Careers Services job profiles website can tell you about jobs in information technology and information management.
The Scottish careers website Planitplus provides information about opportunities in the IT sector in Scotland.