Routes into healthcare
Find out more about routes into healthcare by using the links below.
You can browse the skills, abilities and qualities you need to work in different areas of healthcare and nursing, including what you would need to work as an adult nurse, a healthcare assistant or a practice nurse.
For example, as a healthcare assistant you would need to have:
- a friendly and caring personality
- the ability to relate to people from a wide variety of backgrounds
- tact and sensitivity
- an understanding and respectful approach to patients from all backgrounds
- the ability to work on your own initiative and as part of a team
- an understanding of the importance of confidentiality
- patience and a sense of humour.
Read an adult nurse’s.
The careers website Prospects describes different kinds of jobs in healthcare and provides details of the qualifications you might need to become a mental health nurse. While this website is aimed at graduates, many of the jobs it describes do not need degree-level qualifications.
The National Careers Services job profiles website can tell you about jobs in medicine and nursing.
The Scottish careers website Planitplus provides information about working in nursing and other healthcare roles.
Now it’s time to think about yourself.