Have you previously learned some basic Chinese and now want to go a step further? This third introductory course in the Getting started with Chinese series will help you consolidate your language skills and provide you with some essential vocabulary and expressions to improve your Chinese in everyday situations. You will practice speaking, listening, writing and reading through a variety of online activities that will allow you to enjoy the full experience of immersing into the Chinese language and culture.
This OpenLearn course is an extract from the beginning of the Open Centre for Languages and Cultures short course, LXC003 Beginners Chinese 3: 开始吧 kāishĭ ba! After completing this free course, you may wish to register for the full course to continue your learning!
Course learning outcomes
After studying this course, you should be able to:
- describe objects and people, including one's appearance and state and be able to indicate a change of state
- recognise the Chinese concept of beauty
- form comparisons freely using bǐ 比 and the adjectives studied
- recognise some character head components as well as four-character idioms
- understand register in the Chinese language.
First Published: 08/02/2021