In this activity you are going to find out more about Valencian cuisine and one of the city’s famous restaurants by the sea.
Listen to the documentary on the audio track below and answer the following questions in English.
Escucha y contesta.
- los placeres pleasures
- la langosta lobster
- los fideos noodles
- las personas mayores elderly people
- la realeza royalty
- las paredes walls
- el conejo rabbit
Time for another edition of the documentary series En portada. This programme is all about eating out, one of the most enjoyable things to do in Valencia.
- List some of the ingredients of the traditional dishes mentioned.
- What is the main ingredient in Valencian cooking?
- What is the favourite meal of the local people interviewed?
- What sort of a restaurant is La Rosa? When was it opened?
- Does it attract an international clientele? Mention three names.
- What is possible for clients dining indoors?
- Some of the ingredients mentioned are: seafood (marisco), lobster (langosta), squid (calamares), rice (arroz), fish (pescado), noodles (fideos), vegetables (verduras), rabbit (conejo), and chicken (pollo).
- The main ingredient is rice.
- Paella is the clear favourite.
- It is a traditional restaurant, offering regional dishes, which was opened in 1925.
- Yes, it does. Three clients mentioned are Norman Foster, Umberto Eco, and Jeremy Irons.
- Clients who dine indoors can watch the paella being prepared.
Skills: Shadow reading
Shadow reading means reading the transcript aloud while listening to the speaker on the recording. This technique will help you improve your pronunciation, intonation and fluency.