1 Using verbal communication in the workplace
There are several different ways to classify verbal communication in the workplace.
A number of online sources suggest 4 categories (ATIO, n.d.):
- Intrapersonal communication – the internal communication we have with ourselves (linked to self-awareness).
- Interpersonal communication – one to one conversation between two people.
- Small group communication – more than two people are involved but the group is small enough to allow everyone an opportunity to interact.
- Public communication – when one individual addresses a large group, e.g. a public speech.
Whereas Quain (2018) divides it into:
- work meetings
- verbal presentations
- conversations between employees
- considerations for an effective workplace, i.e. clarity of messages.
As you work through this week, you’ll see many of these categories reflected in the content and you’ll recognise some of the skills you looked at in Week 2.
First, you’ll focus on a fundamental element of verbal communication in the workplace – the conversation.