My OpenLearn Profile
- Personalise your OpenLearn profile
- Save your favourite content
- Get recognition for your learning
Introduction to operations management
This free course, Introduction to operations management, will introduce you to the role of operations management in organisations, and gives you the opportunity to understand what an operations manager does. It looks at how the role might influence the short- and long-term success of the organisation. It is important to develop a clear understanding of the impact of good and bad operations management practice on the performance of an organisation as a whole.
Course learning outcomes
After studying this course, you should be able to:
- understand the input–process–output framework, the extensions of it, and apply them to a wide range of operations
- examine the types of transformation processes occurring within operations
- define the roles and responsibilities of operations managers and the challenges they face
- reflect on your own operations management responsibilities, if applicable
- understand the content of an operations strategy and the decisions involved.
You can start this course right now without signing-up. Click on any of the course content sections below to start at any point in this course.
If you want to be able to track your progress, earn a free Statement of Participation, and access all course quizzes and activities, sign-up.
- Learning outcomes
- 1 What is the role of operations management?
- 2 The input–process–output model
- 3 What do operations managers really do?
- 4 Why is operations management important?
- 5 Are you an operations manager?
- Keep on learning
Create an account to get more
Track your progress
Review and track your learning through your OpenLearn Profile.
Statement of participation
On completetion of a course you will earn a Statement of participation.
Access all course activities
Take course quizzes and access all learning.
Review the course
When you have finished a course leave a review and tell others what you think.
Creative commons: The Open University is proud to release this free course under a Creative Commons licence.
However, any third-party materials featured within it are used with permission and are not ours to give away. These materials are not subject to the Creative Commons licence. See terms and conditions and our FAQs.
Full copyright details can be found in the Acknowledgements section of each week.
For further information, take a look at our frequently asked questions which may give you the support you need.Have a question?
Making the decision to study can be a big step, which is why you'll want a trusted University. The Open University has nearly 50 years’ experience delivering flexible learning and 170,000 students are studying with us right now. Take a look at all Open University courses.
Every year, thousands of students decide to study with The Open University. With over 120 qualifications, we’ve got the right course for you.
About this free course
6 hours study
Level 2: Intermediate
Become an OU student
Download this course
Free statement of participation on completion of these courses.