The Open University since 2006
Alternatively you can skip the navigation by pressing 'Enter'.
Thinking Allowed 2016: 'Queer' wars, Nigerian beauty pageantsMonday, 30th May 2016 00:15 - BBC Radio 4Laurie Taylor and guests looks at the international polarisation over sexual rights and beauty contests in a... Read more: Thinking Allowed 2016: 'Queer' wars, Nigerian beauty pageants
The Educators: Series 2: Character LessonsMonday, 30th May 2016 23:30 - BBC Radio 4
Life - with David Attenborough: Creatures of the DeepTuesday, 31st May 2016 09:00 - Eden
Life - with David Attenborough: PlantsTuesday, 31st May 2016 10:00 - Eden
Old School With The Hairy Bikers: EPISODE 3Available until Sunday, 26th June 2016 20:00With only four weeks left at the Oxford Academy, we look to see how the old and young have learned from each other. Read more: Old School With The Hairy Bikers: EPISODE 3
Thinking Allowed 2016: 'Queer' wars, Nigerian beauty pageantsAvailable for over a year
All in the Mind - Summer 2016: Exams and the mental health of children, a community approach to suicide preventionAvailable for over a year
Thinking Allowed 2016: Glasgow gangs - Russian gangsAvailable for over a year
Life - with David AttenboroughDavid Attenborough explores the vibrant mix of life found on our plant - where it comes from, and... Read more: Life - with David Attenborough
Take the photographic memory testCan you capture scenes just by looking at them? Find out with our photographic memory test. Launch now: Take the photographic memory test
Una lengua en movimientoThis free course will develop your knowledge and understanding of the societies and cultures of... Try: Una lengua en movimiento now
Organisations and management accountingThis free course, Organisations and management accounting, examines the nature of organisations,... Try: Organisations and management accounting now
Do you want to improve your language skills and communicate more easily and effectively in Spanish? This free course, Beginners’ Spanish: food and drink, focuses on buying and ordering food and drink at a restaurant or bar. You will be able to use some basic vocabulary relating to food, drinks, meals, quantities and measures. In this OpenLearn course you will listen to Spanish speakers in a variety of situations.
After studying this course, you should be able to:
- take part in simple exchanges when buying food in shops or at the market in Spain
- understand basic information about prices and quantities in Spanish
- order food and drinks in a bar or restaurant using Spanish
- ask for the bill in Spanish
- have a better understanding of some customs relating to food shopping and meals in Spain.
Study this free course
Enrol to access the full course, get recognition for the skills you learn, track your progress and on completion gain a statement of participation to demonstrate your learning to others. Make your learning visible!
Beginners’ Spanish: food and drink
This free OpenLearn course, Beginners' Spanish: food and drink, requires some basic knowledge of Spanish. You will be able to use some basic vocabulary relating to food, drinks, meals, quantities and measures. You will also have the opportunity to practise how to order a meal, go shopping and pay for food. You will listen to Spanish speakers in a variety of situations, and you will learn skills for coping with extended listening. Cultural notes also explain about customs to do with meals and food shopping in Spain.
This OpenLearn course is an adapted extract from the Open University course.
Copyright & revisions
Originally published: Friday, 26th February 2016
Last updated on: Friday, 26th February 2016
- Creative-Commons: The Open University is proud to release this free course under a Creative Commons licence. However, any third-party materials featured within it are used with permission and are not ours to give away. These materials are not subject to the Creative Commons licence. See terms and conditions. Full details can be found in the Acknowledgements and our FAQs section.
- This site has Copy Reuse Tracking enabled - see our FAQs for more information.
If you enjoyed this, why not follow a feed to find out when we have new things like it? Choose an RSS feed from the list below. (Don't know what to do with RSS feeds?)
Remember, you can also make your own, personal feed by combining tags from around OpenLearn.
- Latest OpenLearn pages
- Latest pages from OpenLearn - Spanish
- Latest pages from OpenLearn - Languages
- Latest pages tagged - L194
- Latest pages tagged - food shopping
- Latest pages tagged - Spanish
- Latest pages tagged - ordering food
- Latest pages tagged - restaurants
- Latest pages tagged - comprar comida
- Latest pages tagged - restaurante
- Latest pages tagged - L194_2
- Latest comments on this page
All our alternative formats are free for you to download, for more information about the different formats we offer please see our FAQs. The most frequently used are Word (for accessibility), PDF (for print) and ePub and Kindle to download to eReaders*.
- Word (2 MB)
- PDF (3.1 MB)
- ePub 3.0 (15.7 MB)
- ePub 2.0 (1.7 MB)
- Kindle (928 KB)
- RSS (288 KB)
- HTML (15.5 MB)
- SCORM (15.5 MB)
- OUXML Package (24 KB)
- OUXML File (89 KB)
- IMS Common cartridge
- Moodle backup (15.7 MB)
*Please note you will need an ePub and Mobi reader for these formats.