The Open University since 2006
Alternatively you can skip the navigation by pressing 'Enter'.
City in The Sky: AirborneWednesday, 29th June 2016 02:45 - BBC TwoThe second episode of City in the Sky looks at how 100,000 flights stay airborne every day without colliding. Read more: City in The Sky: Airborne
All in the Mind - Summer 2016: All in the Mind Awards Ceremony from the Wellcome Collection in LondonWednesday, 29th June 2016 15:30 - BBC Radio 4
Thinking Allowed 2016: Good neighbours, The connection between sport and domestic abuseWednesday, 29th June 2016 16:00 - BBC Radio 4
Old School With The Hairy Bikers: EPISODE 1Thursday, 30th June 2016 01:05 - BBC Two (England only)
All in the Mind - Summer 2016: All in the Mind Awards Ceremony from the Wellcome Collection in LondonAvailable for over a yearClaudia Hammond presents the series that explores the limits and potential of the human mind. Read more: All in the Mind - Summer 2016: All in the Mind Awards Ceremony from the Wellcome Collection in London
Martin Conway: Flashbulb memoryProfessor Martin Conway, Professor of Cognitive Psychology at City University London talks us... Listen now: Martin Conway: Flashbulb memory
Take the photographic memory testCan you capture scenes just by looking at them? Find out with our photographic memory test. Launch now: Take the photographic memory test
Can renewable energy power the world?Renewable energy sources are gaining an increasing share of world energy supplies. In the next... Try: Can renewable energy power the world? now
Organisations and management accountingThis free course, Organisations and management accounting, examines the nature of organisations,... Try: Organisations and management accounting now
Do you want to improve your language skills and communicate more easily and effectively in Spanish? This free course, Beginners’ Spanish: food and drink, focuses on buying and ordering food and drink at a restaurant or bar. You will be able to use some basic vocabulary relating to food, drinks, meals, quantities and measures. In this OpenLearn course you will listen to Spanish speakers in a variety of situations.
After studying this course, you should be able to:
- take part in simple exchanges when buying food in shops or at the market in Spain
- understand basic information about prices and quantities in Spanish
- order food and drinks in a bar or restaurant using Spanish
- ask for the bill in Spanish
- have a better understanding of some customs relating to food shopping and meals in Spain.
Study this free course
Enrol to access the full course, get recognition for the skills you learn, track your progress and on completion gain a statement of participation to demonstrate your learning to others. Make your learning visible!
Beginners’ Spanish: food and drink
This free OpenLearn course, Beginners' Spanish: food and drink, requires some basic knowledge of Spanish. You will be able to use some basic vocabulary relating to food, drinks, meals, quantities and measures. You will also have the opportunity to practise how to order a meal, go shopping and pay for food. You will listen to Spanish speakers in a variety of situations, and you will learn skills for coping with extended listening. Cultural notes also explain about customs to do with meals and food shopping in Spain.
This OpenLearn course is an adapted extract from the Open University course.
Copyright & revisions
Originally published: Friday, 26th February 2016
Last updated on: Friday, 26th February 2016
- Creative-Commons: The Open University is proud to release this free course under a Creative Commons licence. However, any third-party materials featured within it are used with permission and are not ours to give away. These materials are not subject to the Creative Commons licence. See terms and conditions. Full details can be found in the Acknowledgements and our FAQs section.
- This site has Copy Reuse Tracking enabled - see our FAQs for more information.
If you enjoyed this, why not follow a feed to find out when we have new things like it? Choose an RSS feed from the list below. (Don't know what to do with RSS feeds?)
Remember, you can also make your own, personal feed by combining tags from around OpenLearn.
- Latest OpenLearn pages
- Latest pages from OpenLearn - Spanish
- Latest pages from OpenLearn - Languages
- Latest pages tagged - L194
- Latest pages tagged - food shopping
- Latest pages tagged - Spanish
- Latest pages tagged - ordering food
- Latest pages tagged - restaurants
- Latest pages tagged - comprar comida
- Latest pages tagged - restaurante
- Latest pages tagged - L194_2
- Latest comments on this page
All our alternative formats are free for you to download, for more information about the different formats we offer please see our FAQs. The most frequently used are Word (for accessibility), PDF (for print) and ePub and Kindle to download to eReaders*.
- Word (2 MB)
- PDF (3.1 MB)
- ePub 3.0 (15.7 MB)
- ePub 2.0 (1.7 MB)
- Kindle (928 KB)
- RSS (288 KB)
- HTML (15.5 MB)
- SCORM (15.5 MB)
- OUXML Package (24 KB)
- OUXML File (89 KB)
- IMS Common cartridge
- Moodle backup (15.7 MB)
*Please note you will need an ePub and Mobi reader for these formats.