Skip to content
Skip to main content

About this free course

Share this free course

Introduction to UK immigration law and becoming an immigration advisor
Introduction to UK immigration law and becoming an immigration advisor

Start this free course now. Just create an account and sign in. Enrol and complete the course for a free statement of participation or digital badge if available.

4.1 Qualified individuals

Any individual or organisation that wants to provide immigration advice must register with the OISC.

The Immigration and Asylum Act 1999 s.84(1) states that only a qualified person can provide immigration advice or services. It also defines a qualified person as someone who is (, 1999):

  • registered with the OISC
  • authorised by a designated professional body to practise as a member of the profession whose members that body regulates
  • acting on behalf of, and under the supervision of, anyone registered or authorised (whether under a contract of employment).

Most voluntary and community organisations and most businesses that offer immigration advice or services in the UK need to apply to the OISC for registration. These requirements are beyond the scope of this course, but you should always check that anyone employing you to provide immigration advice is registered to do so.

It is important to understand that anyone providing immigration advice who is not qualified and regulated by the OISC is committing a criminal offence. ‘Providing advice’ occurs when a person gives specific advice on an area of immigration law that relates to another’s circumstances, whether the provider is paid to do so.

Now listen to Audio 1, which explores this topic further.

Download this audio clip.Audio player: Audio 1
Copy this transcript to the clipboard
Print this transcript
Show transcript|Hide transcript
Audio 1 Who can give immigration advice?
Interactive feature not available in single page view (see it in standard view).