My OpenLearn Profile
- Personalise your OpenLearn profile
- Save your favourite content
- Get recognition for your learning
Technological innovation: a resource-based view
This free course, Technological innovation: a resource-based view, aims to provide you with an overview and introduction to a range of related concepts, ideas and debates which enable you to develop a critical understanding of capabilities in relation to technological innovation. It will enable you to develop a critical understanding of the development, management and application of some of the most important capabilities for technological innovation.
Course learning outcomes
After studying this course, you should be able to:
- understand the genesis and continuing development of the resource-based view of organisations
- understand the distinction between organisational resources, competences and capabilities and their significance for technological innovation
- understand the development, use and management of a range of capabilities for technological innovation and innovation more generally
- recognise the importance of knowledge management and organisational learning to the development and application of capabilities for technological innovation.
You can start this course right now without signing-up. Click on any of the course content sections below to start at any point in this course.
If you want to be able to track your progress, earn a free Statement of Participation, and access all course quizzes and activities, sign-up.
- Learning outcomes
- 1 Introducing innovation
- 2 Innovation: adding value
- 3 The resource-based view of organisations
- 4 Anatomy of a capability
- 5 Resources, competences and capabilities
- 6 Core rigidities
- 7 Core capabilities as knowledge assets
- Keep on learning
Create an account to get more
Track your progress
Review and track your learning through your OpenLearn Profile.
Statement of participation
On completetion of a course you will earn a Statement of participation.
Access all course activities
Take course quizzes and access all learning.
Review the course
When you have finished a course leave a review and tell others what you think.
Creative commons: The Open University is proud to release this free course under a Creative Commons licence.
However, any third-party materials featured within it are used with permission and are not ours to give away. These materials are not subject to the Creative Commons licence. See terms and conditions and our FAQs.
Full copyright details can be found in the Acknowledgements section of each week.
For further information, take a look at our frequently asked questions which may give you the support you need.Have a question?
Making the decision to study can be a big step, which is why you'll want a trusted University. The Open University has nearly 50 years’ experience delivering flexible learning and 170,000 students are studying with us right now. Take a look at all Open University courses.
Every year, thousands of students decide to study with The Open University. With over 120 qualifications, we’ve got the right course for you.
About this free course
10 hours study
Level 3: Advanced
Download this course
Free statement of participation on completion of these courses.