Summary of Study Session 29
In Study Session 29, you have learned that:
- Positive living is a lifestyle choice for PLHIV that includes preventing the spread of HIV, being informed about their health, taking medication as prescribed, working as their energy allows, avoiding stress, maintaining good nutrition, preventing infections, getting regular exercise, and seeking regular medical care.
- It is essential that PLHIV put measures into place to reduce the risks of sexual HIV transmission, even if they are on ART. These may include abstinence, maintaining faithful relationships, and/or safer sex practises.
- Complete adherence to all HIV treatment, care and support is critical to maintaining the health of PLHIV.
- Giving clear information about HIV/AIDS and positive living to PLHIV helps their active participation in managing their own health, and seeking advice in episodes of ill health.
- PLHIV need to eat more food than normal to help their immune system to fight infections.
- Personal hygiene is particularly important for PLHIV to avoid infections, and they should keep minor wounds clean.
- Regular exercise is recommended for PLHIV, as long as their energy allows. They also need plenty of rest.